Thursday, 2 August 2012 11:49 AM
Mirrors are an essential part of the home.
They play an important role in the getting ready process and give you a chance to wave excitedly at your reflection.
But they are also a key part of the interior design of a home, offering you the chance to bring depth, light and air to a room.
So how should you go about doing that? We've spoken to Amanda Ayers, co-founder of mirror company Ayers & Graces.
She explains why a mirror is worthwhile, before giving a few interior design tips of how a mirror may work best in your home.
1. Mirrors can deliver an instant make-over for your home. They can instantly refresh rooms and mean you don't have to completely redecorate or buy new furniture suites.
2. Placed opposite a window or door, glass mirrors bounce light around the room; creating a bright and airy ambience.
3. Wall-hung mirrors can create a more spacious feel in a room. They generate a perception of increased depth - useful when trying to "open up" a smaller space.
4. To dramatically increase the amount of light, use high gloss, shiny mirror frames.
5. If you have plain, muted décor in the living room, a statement mirror with a heavy gilt frame can bring a room to life.
6. Natural pastel colours evoke a sophisticated look with smooth creams and fresh whites that create a classic look, especially with large furnishings.
7. Use soft, pale painted mirrors to offer a sense of calm and elegance to the room; particularly in contrast to strong shades of paint on the walls.
8. The unobtrusive nature of pastel colours means they blend, contrast and compliment other styles in the home; bringing together a home of class and grace with ease. Use champagne coloured mirror frames that have been delicately hand-finished to provide a subtle and sophisticated feature to walls that have intricately patterned wallpaper.
9. Wall hung mirrors are not only a practical piece of furniture but are striking pieces of wall art in the home. Instead of mounting metal wall art, purchase a contemporary mirror that doubles-up as an interesting piece of art; such as mirrors constructed of large mirror shards or angled panels.
10. Finally, have fun choosing your mirrors! Mirrors are available in all shapes, sizes, colours and styles to suit every room of the home. Choose a mirror style that suits your personality and use them in the home to create an ambience that is individual to you.
Want to be the first to know when we break a story? Follow @AboutProperty on Twitter and subscribe to our free weekly newsletter.